Crontab

I am slowly moving from Slackware to Debian.  I have finally figured
out that I can't use crontab -e in Debian.  I have found the
/etc/crontab file and added items to this 'new' way of doing things.
I now have 2 questions,
1.  How do I get _that_ /etc/crontab to run?
2.  Where do I find docs on this _new_ way of running cron.  There are
no man pages.  ( yes I have man packages installed)

Thanks for the pointers!

--
A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
in than some that do.