Re: Debian on Notebooks

lead@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi!
>
> }-> On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 03:23:44PM +0200, Lukas Eppler wrote:
>
> }-> > possible with a nice resolution with SVGATextMode.
> }-> >
> }-> > Most information I get is on 'how can I run X on my laptop', I look for
> }-> > information the other way 'round.
> }->
> }-> Chips and Technologies chips seem to work well. My Toshiba 310CDS runs
> }-> X rather nicely. I had a lot of trouble with a friend's Acer notebook

The Acer notebook uses a very nice Neo magic video card.  The only thing that is not
nice about this video card is that it is not supported by Xfree 3.3.2.

The Neo magic card is supported by Xfree 3.3.3 but that is not generally avaiable in
distributions.

The alternative is to go to http://www.precisioninsight.com/products.html and download
the 'XFCom X Server'.  There is both a .tgz and a .rpm available for download (the site
is fairly fast too).  Dont worry, this is a free product, just there in no generally
available source code (it has gone to the Xfree project though).

I installed the X server using the .rpm file and using alien.  Everything worked with
no problems at all, alien converted and installed the .rpm package just fine (well done
the developers).

Once the packages is installed it is just a matter of tweaking the configuration files
in /etc/X11 (see the Readme file while downloading the package).

I have tested this Xserver on a Dell Inspiron 3200 and have had absoultely no problems
what so ever.....

Hope this help... bye.
John Stevenson