some applications are eating memory

I have noticed that some applications are growing without
limits: the first one is netscape; I have limited in Preferences
the size of the memory cache to 3 Mb but as I use it, it takes more
and more memory (as reported by top); I have to kill it when
it is too big ( the maxmimum I have had till now is more than 60 Mb)
and relaunch it;
I noticed also that xconsole grows: now after 11 days since reboot
it occupies 12 Mb;

is it normal?

by the way I have tried amaya but can't get it working; does somebody
use it successfully?

thanks for any help

Hubert
hubert.fauque@wanadoo.fr