Re: ppp problems continue! (long)

Chris Evans writes:
> I suspect from the proxyARP message...

No.  This message is harmless and irrelevant.

> I have a sense that I need to change /etc/init.d/network to bind ppp0...

Can't be done: ppp0 does not exist until the ppp link comes up.

> Acting on advice from my last posting I have changed my
> /etc/init.d/network settings to put the appropriate addresses in against
> eth0.

Exactly what did you do here?  You should have disabled the default route
and added the network and interface addresses.  This what I have in
/etc/init.d/network:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
/sbin/route add -net 192.168.1.0 device eth0

Your routing table looks very strange: as if you have given your ethernet
interface and the ppp interface the same address.  The only place you
should put the ppp addresses xxx.yy.zzz.ww and aaa.bb.ccc.1 is in
/etc/ppp/peers/provider.  Give the ethernet card a non-routed address such
as 192.168.1.1 and give other machines on your LAN address on the
192.168.1.0 net.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)