Re: Modem connection speed

Hi all,

After running into this same problem, and asking on this list for
answers, I think I may be able to give others some help now.

First, what speed are you connecting at? As reported in another post or
two, it is easy to make your system save the modem connect speed in its
own file. Mine saves each connection speed to a file called
/etc/ppp/speed. To do this, using a debian 2.0 system, go to your
/etc/chatscripts directory and modify the file for your provider. It
will be named, what ever you named it when you ran the pppconfig
program. In this example, mine is called cp1. Add "REPORT CONNECT",
without the quotes, as the first line in the file. Change the ATZ line
to ATW2. While this is not the best, because it needs a reset somewhere,
it will do for now. Later we will change the line again. My cp1 file now
looks like this;
REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
"" ATW2
OK ATDT1234567
CONNECT \d\c

Now change to the /etc/ppp/peers directory and edit the file, again
named as above when you created it. In this file, find the line starting
with connect and to the end, but inside the quote mark, add "-r
/etc/ppp/speed". My new line looks like this;
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscript/cp1 -r /etc/ppp/speed"
#pppconfig_connect

Now each time you connect to your ISP with the pon program, i.e. pon
xxx, you will be able to check your speed by reading the end of the
/etc/ppp/speed file.

Next, lets fine tune our modem init strings. I asked, on this list and
recv'd one reply, which suggested that I use a program called wvdial.
This program can be gotten in deb format from
http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial. When installed it will run the
wvdialconf program. This program will query your modem for the best
settings. Not sure how it does it, but it came up with a long string of
parameters to be passed to my modem after init.

I didn't write down that long string, but it is also written to a file
called /etc/wvdial.conf. What you need is the Init2 string. In order to
use it, you will need to modify your init file which is stored in the
/etc/chatscripts/cp1. My new one now looks like this;
REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
"" ATZ
OK ATQ0
OK ATV1
OK ATE1
OK ATS0=0
OK AT&C1
OK AT&D2
OK ATS11=55
OK AT+FCLASS=0
OK ATW2
OK ATDT1234567
CONNECT \d\c

This much longer file resets the modem and then sends each string to the
modem, waiting for an OK each time.

Now my modem connects and reports a connect speed much faster than I
ever got before. I can also see an improvement in download speed when
using netscape. Hopefully, this will help many of you tune up your
system for a better connection. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Patrick
pmcgilla@cpinternet.com