Re: .Xresources?

*-stick@richnet.net

| Ole J. Tetlie said
| > *-timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu
| > |
| > | In general, how does one find out about what resources an X app understands
| > | if its not listed in the man page?
| >
| > I don't know about gEdit specifically, but you can try a program called
| > editres.
| >

| Editres will list the reasources an application uses but it doesn't list
| the possible values that reasource can have.  Where does one easily find
| that?

I'm afraid there's no particularly easy way. Here are some heuristics:

1. Check the manpage
2. Use what you know from other programs
3. Check the source :-)

Some generally useful stuff:

geometry: 100x100+0-0
Search for GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS in man X.

names, titles and such: free form strings

colours: see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

switches: true/false on/off or something similar (see manpage)

In the end, it's always up to the program to parse the resource
strings and this means that there will never be universal rules.

--
Eschew obfuscation    (go on; look them both up)
                                   (Brian White)