Re: linux crash when RAM > 128MB

On  1 Nov, Oz Dror wrote:
> Hi
> I have hust installed debian 2.0 on new P-II machine.
> MB ASUS P2B-S (with aic7890)
> I have 2 SDRAMS 128MB each.
>
> When I try to boot linux with more then 128M linux crashes.
>
> Is this a hardware or software problem.
>
> -Oz

My guess is hardware.  I have 256M and it works fine.  One other thing
to try, first, though:  I'm assuming that you have the proper
append="mem=256M" line in your lilo.conf.  Try setting that to 255M
instead.  Some boards "borrow" a little bit of RAM and it makes Linux
very unhappy to not have all the ram it thinks it has.  I've seen a
couple of people suggest setting the mem= line to a little bit lower to
compensate for this.

You might also try swapping the DIMMS(?) to see if that changes
anything.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College