auto-indenting-formatting with a vi?

As I get more and more frustrated with emacs, it keeps occurring to me
that the *only* reason I'm using emacs instead of vi is that it
indents and color-codes my program code.  Is there a variant of vi
that can do this?  vim claims to hilite syntax, and i think elvis
claims that too, but can either be made to handle indent/exdent
automaticalyy?  And to complicate things, thoguh i need c++ at times,
it's Fortran 90 that's most important.

rick, who'd be happy as a clam in a bucket of beer if he had a classic
vi that would handle multiple buffers and color & indent his programs