Problem building a compressed kernel image

I installed Debian 2.0 (2.0.34) from the Greenbush distribution.

When I make from /usr/src/linux, everything works fine.
When I try to build a compressed image (make install, make zImage, etc.),
the make
fails in arh/i386/boot directory, complaining that it can't find
/include/config.h
It looks as tho the ${TOPDIR} (I think that was it, I don't have the errors
here - it's
the env variable that contains the /usr/src/kernel-source... directory name)
is no
longer set. None of the other directories exhibit this problem.
I tried hard-coding it in the /boot/Makefile, but this caused numerous other
problems.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Paul Biciunas
paul@biciunas.com