Printing *huge* files via compressed pipe ?

I have a situation here where we have users needing to print *huge*
Powerpoint presentations to a high-color Xerox printer.  These print
jobs are at times over 3gig in size.  The trouble is that the lusers are
at one site, while the printer is at the other end of a dinky T1 ...

When these things get sent, the T1 line is just soaked - 90% utilization
and then some.  Not good.

The jobs themselves are just postscript - plain ascii.  So I'm thinking
I can set up a Linux box as a local printer at site 1, pipe the print
job through gzip which should cut it down to less than 1/10 the size,
ship across the T1 to another Linux box at the printer site which
ungzips it and sends it to the printer or print-server.

We already have several Debian boxes in here, and this is another
instance where I can show Linux outshines NT to provide a solution.

Any ideas ?  We are pressed for time here :(

--
Dean Carpenter	deano@areyes.com
94 TT :)		Dean.Carpenter@pharma.com