Re: Anyway to kill a virtual console without rebooting?

On 30 Oct 1998q, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 10:25:21AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Is there any way to kill a virtual console without rebooting?
> >
> > I ask because for some reason I keep getting lockups when using vim to edit
> > multiple buffers. I can switch to a different vc and carry on, but no other
> > keys work on the vc I started from. Even if I kill the process I was using
> > there, nothing works.
>
> Check that scroll lock is not on -- it pauses the console, and that
> virtual terminal will appear to lock up while it's on. Using ^S and ^Q
> (XON/XOFF flow control) will also trigger this.

I don't think so; I've been caught by that one previously and I watch out for
it. (Actually, on my setup this key prints some information about memory;
oddly enough it was the only key that worked when the console was locked.)

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald