Question about include files and recompiling kernel

Hi,
Here's a practical problem I encountered when recompiling 3c59x.c
with kernel source 2.0.34. I followed instructions from Donald
Becker: 1. install source code in /usr/src
	2. cd /usr/src/linux; make include/linux/version.h
	3. cp 3c59x.c /usr/src/linux/modules
	4. gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
-O6 -c 3c59x.c

First, a whole bunch of include files were missing, so I  downloaded
kernel-headers-2.0.34. It installs itself in /usr/src/linux-2.0.34.
+ I looked in README of kernel-source and applied the 3 links
from /usr/include/linux/asm-scsi-idontknowanymore.

Anyway, after that gcc reported 1 file "autoconf.h" was still
missing. So I simply made some link to the right autoconf.h  (don't
remember how) and SURPRISE SURPRISE ended up with 3c59x.o
!!

What in God's name happened ?? Can someone explain me how
to *correctly* install include files without having to hack around like
that ? Please mail.

Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
marc