setting up display for remote access

I want to be able to use my X-display on my computer at home to be run
from a remote server.

Ie, I want to be able to telnet or rlogin to a remote system, then try
something like:

    xterm -display <my_ip_address>:<vt_number>

but when I have tried this, I have got the error message:

    can't open display <my_ip_address>:<vt_number>.

Do I need to change the settings on my computer, or is it something to do
with the other computer, or is my command wrong?

Also, is there a preferable value for <vt_number>, such as 0, or 7 (my
usual X vt)?

Cheers
Rich

Rich Harran : 95rmwh@eng.cam.ac.uk