Re: Modem connection speed

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Kent West wrote:

> Just recently there was a posting here that said they got better
> connection speed in Win95 than in Linux. A couple of days ago I heard
> another Linux say the same thing. And so far, on a hamm box, I can only
> get 19200 out of my 28800 pc card modem. Is this typical of Linux, or is
> it just an improper init string or etc?
My guess is that the init string is flunky. I have never got anything
less than the modems limit out of my modems, 14.4 out of the 14.4 28.8
out of the 28.8 33.6 out of the 33.6 and 44 out of the 56 (this has to
do with the modem banks at the ISP being set to 44kbs to ensure
minimum dropouts...on the recomendations of the comms carrier).

Nikolai