Staroffice server/client?

I just installed StarOffice 4.0.  The only binary is soffice, and it
doesn't seem to detect an already existing running copy, so I can't
open another document from the shell without starting up a whole new
soffice.

Is this the only way it works?  Or am I missing something?
I'd like it to work like emacs/gnuclient.

I want to use it in my mailcap to read ms-word documents, but as it is
it's starting a new copy of soffice every time I do that.  Also, metamail
won't return control to the mail application until I kill soffice. That's
also a pain.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I can try to explain it better!
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada