Re: conflicts in Debian Distributions

Hello,

Antti-Juhani wrote on debian-user:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 11:05:42AM -0800, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> > I would agree however, that a good description of each package would
> > help you decide what to install.
>
> Please tell me, what you would consider a good description!  Feel free
> to pick some packages and rewrite their descriptions; you can post the
> results here (or to debian-devel, if you prefer) for public scrutiny.

I can't speak for Kenneth, but one thing I find is that there are
very little comparative descriptions (or else I haven't found them).

This makes it a bit hard to decide, say, which news transport I want.
Each of them says basically "this is a better news transport program,
replaces c-news". But which one should I get for my system? (Home
computer, regularly dials into two ISPs, doesn't feed anyone.)

Is that roughly what you were complaining about?
Exactly.  The descriptions are not really that bad, but not good
enough for a new user to pick what he needs.  I thought that the
debian website had a better package list with a searchable database,
which is the tool that the new user could really use.  Also when I try
to install some package obtained by ftp (using dpkg -i) and it
complains of a missing lib or other file I need to know what package
provides the missing file(s).