Re: clearing screen after logout & login screen

> How do I clear the screen after logout? so...instead of walking up on
> the remnants of the X server terminating and a login prompt, all that
> shows on the screen is the login prompt... what script is it?

In your home directory, create a file called '.bash_logout' (assuming
that you are using 'bash' as your shell).  In its place the word 'clear'
starting in column 1.

> For that matter, how can I change the login prompt itself?....both lines
> (Debian GNU/Linux (name) ttyX and login: )?

To change the login line, read the man page for 'getty' and then edit
the file '/etc/issue'.

Dean