Re: /etc/host.deny and co

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Linh Dang wrote:

> I want to deny telnet, ftp and smtp connection from ANY other sites.
> But I want to accept http connection, pull down pop3, imap and
> send out mail (smtp).
>
> How do I setup /etc/host.deny, /etc/host.allow and CO. I will RTFM
> but since security is so important (that why I choose Debian) I'd like
> to hear all the tips, tricks and know all traps, pitfalls...

Also take a look at /etc/inetd.conf. Comment out the lines dealing with
telnet, ftp, and smtp. This file controls what servers will be started
when someone tries to connect to your machine. This is absolute...no one
will be able to use these services. If you still want to be able to telnet
and ftp from the localhost, then stick with host.deny and host.allow.

Hope this helps,
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu