Re: Notification of incoming telnet sessions..

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> > MB> I want to be able to have some form of notification when a telnet
> > MB> connection is made to my linux box, most likely in the form of playing an
> > MB> appropriate .wav file. Having sysklogd sending all daemon connections to
> > MB> an unused terminal would do the second part... how I find out who/where
> > MB> it was. I can do that part myself. What I want to know, is how to do the
> > MB> former. Is it possible?
> >
> > If you have X running, and are logged in, you could use the xlogmaster
> > package. You can then set up a regexp to find the telnet connections
> > in /var/log/daemon log. You can then tell xlogmaster zu play a sound,
> > or pop up a window, or execute a command.
> >
> > There will be better suited solutions I believe.
>
> Just fantasizing: would it be possible to replace the reference to
> telnetd in /etc/inetd.conf to a script or wrapper that first `beeps' (or
> `wavs' or whatever) and then calls telnetd with the appropriate
> arguments?

I tried that approach.. creates hell for syslogd  :)

Oct 27 20:04:11 omnic tcpd[11112]: connect from <host>
Oct 27 20:04:42 omnic last message repeated 2035 times
Oct 27 20:05:43 omnic last message repeated 4161 times
Oct 27 20:06:44 omnic last message repeated 4126 times
Oct 27 20:07:44 omnic last message repeated 4080 times
Oct 27 20:08:44 omnic last message repeated 3991 times
Oct 27 20:09:44 omnic last message repeated 3968 times

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                Mulder: Could say the guy was running on empty.