Re: Installation

I tried last night to set up everything as <jnutting@rat.se> said yesterday,
that is:

controller 0, device 0: harddisk, STANDALONE

controller 1, device 0: harddisk, MASTER

controller 1, device 1: cdrom, SLAVE

And now, the boot-up process hangs up a step forward. Now it shows:

    hda: Maxtor 90432D3 4121MB w/256kB cache, CHS=8374/16/63

    hdc: SAMSUNG WINNER-3 WN3254A(2.5GB), 2423MB w/109kB cache,
CHS=4924/16/63

    hdd: MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CDROM drive

    ide0 at 0x1f0,0x1ft,0x3f6 on irq14

Before, it stopped after the 'hdd...' line, it didn't show the 'ide0...'
line. The first controller has a single cable (for one disk only) whereas
the second controller has a cable for two disks.

What am I doing wrong? or what is wrong with this computer? I haven't been
able to install any Linux distribution (Suse, Debian, RedHat...). I had no
problem at all with Windows 95/NT, and the CDROM drive is the same I've used
to install Debian 2.0 in a 386 computer, and everything works well.

I have also tried to use just one IDE controller, but the results are the
same.

Please help