long LAN

Hello,
  I know you are the guys who has the real experience about these kinds of things and I was just wondering if you can give me suggestions as to how I may go about with this something that i just thought of.
  What do you think is the best way (or any other way you can think of) for us to link our local LAN to another LAN (same school, diff. campus) about 800-1000 meters away without having to resort to phone lines or leased lines.  This is far too much for coax or UTP right ? ... Is there any way around this and still get like 500++ kbps tranfers ?
  Any suggestions will be very much appreciated,
Chad