Re: conflicts in Debian Distributions

[ about conflicts when installing everything in debian ]

Jack Nutting wrote:
> That being said, perhaps there should be a predefined
> installation selection (among the listed configurations you get
> when you run dselect on a new installation) where something as
> close as possible to "everything" is installed.  So if there are
> multiple, conflicting versions of a library or tool, the newest
> stable version would be installed;  Where there are conflicts
> between functionally overlapping packages (like
> smail/sendmail/exim as you mentioned above), perhaps it should
> install none of them, and output into a log file some
> human-readable summary of which conflicting packages the user may
> want to choose from, so they can easily see what they might want
> to go back and install later.  Just some ideas...

In fact that could be done with the profiles offered on a new
debian 2.0 installation (maybe it is done, I don't remember the
options).  Is there a way to get into this `profile selection'
later on, when you have debian up and running?

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032