Re: ISDN Adapter or Eth Router or Serial

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Steven Udell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need advice on what ISDN adapter to get.

Before you lay out a bunch of money for ISDN, is ADSL coming to your area
any time soon? It kicks ISDN to the curb. No special line installation, no
additional line installation, etc. In my area, 24x7 DSL bundled with ISP
service is under $75/month for the lowest grade service. For around
$100/month you can get 384Kbps. That is flat rate service and is connected
24x7, never disconnects.

In other areas of the US ( Washington DC area serviced by Bell Atlantic,
for example ) DSL is even cheaper at around $50/month for the combined
telco and ISP charge. Before you lay out a lot of money, you might want to
investigate what is going to be available in 3-6 months.  I have DSL
service here .... ADSL ... 384K out, 1.5M in. The DSL router is just a
node on my home LAN. Sure is nice to download kernel source trees in under
10 seconds if the other end is fast enough.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!