Re: your mail

My guess would be that Adaptec's latest hardware tweak broke the driver
in the 2.0.34 kernel used in hamm.  I had a less severe driver problem
with my 2940UW, which was apparently fixed by using 2.0.36_pre15 kernel.

Another way to get the latest AIC78xx drivers is to go to
ftp://ftp.dialnet.net:/pub/linux/aic7xxx/
and , I suppose, apply a patch from there to a released kernel source.
(I haven't done this.)

If you have access to a running Debian system, and you can produce
a kernel with updated scsi, you might try making your own boot floppy
using the boot-floppie package from admin.   (I havent done this either.)

A few hints if you are inclined to try this:
When you download the 2.0.36 pre patch from Alan Cox's site, the file will
be gziped, but will not have a .gz extention (at least if you download
through Netscape, as I did).  I had to rename the file to have a .gz
at the end and then gunzip it before the patch would work.

Debian kernel source packages are already patched, so applying further patches
may have unpredictable results.  Use the pristine source if you want to patch.

The Debian kernel-package package is pretty handy for automating kernel
compiling.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike