how to make diald and pppd work together (re "peer refused to authenticate")

How is diald supposed to be set up in Debian 2.0?

I got PPP working with the pon script by setting things up with
pppconfig.

Now I'm trying to set up diald.  I'm getting a PPP error message,
and it's not clear which way it should be fixed.

More generally, it's not clear how much of the pppd setup diald can
use.

When diald invokes pppd, pppd reports "peer refused to authenticate".

Why would that be a problem from diald and not from pon?
(My PPP connection uses PAP, and seems to work fine.  Is PAP included
in whatever authentication the above message refers to?)

/etc/ppp/config says not to comment out the "auth" option, saying to
use the call option instead to disable authentication.

How would that be done through diald?  (Where in the diald configuration
files or scripts can pppd's "call" option be used?)

Generally, is Debian's version of diald coordinated with Debian's
version of pppd?  Can diald easily be configured to use already-
configured pppd/pon connections, or should diald just be set up
separately?

Thanks.

Daniel
--