ncpfs handling long filenames & lowercase

Hello,
   I'm attempting to create mail archives automatically from some mail
inboxes using hypermail in a cron script.  This works fine, until it comes
time to make them available on our Novell based web server.

I can ncpmount the files OK (though I don't understand what changes files
from appearing in upper to appearing in lower case)
When I try using hypermail I get errors about not being able to write files -
it doesn't say why.  When I create on a local disk using hypermail and then
copying across with cp -R I get errors about not being able to write with the
long file names (I guess this means *.html)

hypermail error  -

# hypermail -m /var/spool/mail/rhelp \
-d /mnt/plato/sys/etc/httpd/htdocs/robertk/r/help/98b -l \
"R-help archive July - December 1998" -t "/home/king/R/r_archive_header.html"
hypermail: Couldn't write "/mnt/plato/sys/etc/httpd/htdocs/robertk/r/help/98b/0000.html".

cp error -
cp: cannot create regular file
`/mnt/plato/sys/etc/httpd/htdocs/robertk/r/help/98a/0472.html': File name too
long

Is there an ncpfs list where this question would be more appropriate?

hypermail
version: 1.02

ncpfs version 2.2.0.7

debian version hamm, kernel 2.1.125 (compiled locally)

Thanks,
Robert.

----
Robert King, || The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your
Environmental|| ebriated and scrutable use of "delible" and "defatigable",
Science,     || which are gainly, sipid and couth.  We are gruntled and
Griffith Uni,|| consolate that you have the ertia and eptitude to choose such
Australia    || putably pensible tithesis, which we parage. - Evan Kirshenbaum

    Robert.King@ens.gu.edu.au    http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/index.htm