Re: /etc/shutmsg - a suggestion?

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 11:11:31AM +0200, ulisses@pusa.eleinf.uv.es wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the ftpshut command shutdowns the wu-ftpd service (not the process) by
> writting in /etc/shutmsg, the question is
>
> If this directory is mounted readonly it will fail, I think is a common
> practice to have /etc readonly when an installation is stable (no more
> software updates, etc) to avoid hard disk corruption in one of the most
> important system directories...

Well from the fsstnd:
Summarizing chart with examples:

               +---------+-----------------+-------------+
               |         | shareable       | unshareable |
               +---------+-----------------+-------------+
               |static   | /usr            | /etc        |
               |         | /home           | /boot       |
               +---------+-----------------+-------------+
               |variable | /var/spool/mail | /var/run    |
               |         | /var/spool/news | /var/lock   |
               +---------+-----------------+-------------+

That tends to imply that /etc could be mounted read-only.
however... mtab is writeable and needs to be? hmmm
(that is mentioned in the fsstnd also)...

> Should this be written to /var/<something>?

I tend to agree....having read the fsstnd, I tend to think mtab should be
moved there as well. It seems to be the intention of it to move
(ideally) everything which NEEDS to be writable for the system to function
to /var

I find it curious that this was not also moved. Also to be noted
that /etc contains files (like fstab) which are NEEDED for boot and
to even mount other file systems...so it MUST be part of
the root partition and can not be on a partition of its own
(unless...it existed and had enough files to boot...then got
overlayed with a larger partition...seems to defeat the purpose though)

and teh root partition must be mounted read-write.

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"