RE: Waiting for scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Moore, Paul wrote:

> >From: 	Michael Beattie[SMTP:mickyb@es.co.nz]
> >On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, mwb wrote:
> >> Although I haven't tried it, but you might try putting poff (or your
> >> query script) as the last item in ip-up.
> >
> >Exactly like what I would have suggested. Make a script such as 'zpoff' -
> >so the leading 'z' puts the file at the end of the directory listing.
> >'run-parts' runs the scripts alphabetically AFAIK.
>
> Does this imply that the ip-up.d scripts are run in sequence? That's a
> bit annoying - I was hoping to add a few mirrorring scripts in there
> which would run alongside my news download - would they wait for
> slrnpull to finish?

Use '&' to put them in the background, and pass control back to the
script. The script ends, and run-parts continues with the next script. I
use this for fetchmail:

( fetchmail ; bplay /usr/local/media/maildone.wav ) &

So I know when it is done.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

            There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.