Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors

*- Lukas Eppler wrote about "Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors"
| On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Frock wrote:
| > I'm submitting this as a bug in hope that we might want apt to use a
| > random ftp-site carrying debian when installing - instead of everyone
| > using the same host (ftp1.us.debian.org)
|
| Once someone posted this script to find the fastest debian mirror, which
| could be used in some way in the postinst of apt:
|
| #!/bin/sh
| # Script to figure out the fastest Debian mirror sites
| zgrep "\..*:/" /usr/doc/mirror/README.Debian-mirrors.gz | \
| awk '{ print $1 };' | \
| awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | fping -ae | \
| awk '{ print substr($2,2),$1 }' | sort -n| head -10
|
| I admit this produces a lot of traffic, but just once. Still better than
| ftp1. I don't know how it should be adapted for apt, tough.

As I was recently made aware of there is a package called netselect in
slink(unstable) that does a very good job of this thing.  It takes as
input a list of sites and ranks them on ping stats such as return time,
hops, etc.  It runs everything in parallel and is very fast at sorting
out even the largest of lists.  Check it out. There is not man page yet
so you need to read the docs in /usr/doc/netselect.

Enjoy,
--
Brian
							   - unknown