Re: Waiting for scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

Moore, Paul writes:

 > Can diald be persuaded to do this (hangup-only, no dialup function)? If
 > not, how do I get at the ppp link stats to monitor packets going
 > through? If I can monitor packets/sec across the ppp link, or maybe
 > traffic over the modem, I could write my own monitor-and-timeout
 > program.

No need - take a look at the "idle" parameter of pppd. From the
manpage:

       idle n Specifies that pppd should disconnect if  the  link
              is  idle  for  n seconds.  The link is idle when no
              data packets (i.e. IP packets) are  being  sent  or
              received.   Note:  it  is not advisable to use this
              option with the persist option without  the  demand
              option.  If the active-filter option is given, data
              packets which are rejected by the specified  activ­
              ity filter also count as the link being idle.

--
Alex Shnitman
alexsh@linux.org.il   UIN 188956