Kernel woes

I've been using the 2.0.34 kernel for some time and have had a smallish
problem. I have quite a lot of stuff that comes with the Debian
distribution installed, and am also running with Appletalk enabled (and
Netatalk installed).

The IP address and routes are set correctly in /etc/init.d/network,
still the system doesn't have an IP address when it comes up, only an
Appletalk address. I have to log in as root, run /etc/init.d/network
(which seems to wipe out the Appletalk address) and the
/etc/init.d/netatalk restart. Irritating, to say the least, and
completely unsuitable for a server which I'd like to be able to reboot
remotely and have it come up again in a usable state.

I've also been playing with ipchains and couldn't get it to work. I just
got a handful of error messages each time. Then I read that ipchains
isn't really available in the 2.0 kernels and that I should use a 2.1
kernel instead.

I installed 2.1.125 after having configured it the same way as my old
kernel. When the system booted with the new kernel, I got all sorts of
error messages that had to do with networking. Also, ifconfig definitely
didn't want to work. I just got a number of error messages (and yes, IP
and Appletalk are both enabled in the kernel).

This was unexpected, since people on this list seem to have been able to
just install the 2.1 kernel and have it work without having to do much
else.

Oh well, back to basics. I was going to return to 2.0.34 but figured
that there might be a later kernel so I checked and yes, there it was,
the 2.0.35 kernel. I installed it instead and everything worked just as
well (or as bad) as with 2.0.34 during the boot process.

Then it was going to start xdm, and the display just started to flicker
on and off. My monitor shuts itself off when it can't sync with the
display adapter, and the flickering seemed to indicate that there was
something terribly wrong with the graphics modes in 2.0.35. Oh yes, I
have a simple ATI 3D Graphics Turbo card in this computer (hey, it's a
server).

Next I booted with 2.0.34 again, and the graphics worked just as it did
with 2.0.34 and 2.1.125.

So, what's going on here? What's the problem with that I can't get
networking in 2.1 to work? What's the problem with the graphics in
2.0.35? And what do I really need to use ipchains?

/Robert