Lockup problem with Winfast S230 vga and XF86_SVGA (FAQ didn't help)

Hi all,

I have a very weird problem with X.

Everytime xdm tries to start X with the SVGA server, my keyboard and mouse
freeze at the moment the login screen is being displayed.  The frame is
drawn, but there is nothing in it.  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE or CTRL-ALT-F1 don't
work.  The only thing I can do is reset.
If I try to start X manualy with startx, I get the same problem.
Everything (mouse, numlock key, etc) works until the console window frame
is painted, and than it hangs.
When I'm quick enough, I'm able to stop the server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
before it displays the console window.  If I wait too long, everything
hangs.
I've tried to wait for 5 minutes or so, but nothing happens.

The S3 server doesn't work at all.  It gives me a black screen, and (again)
everything hangs.
I tried the nolinear and nomemory options, but that didn't change anything.

The strange thing is that when I use the VGA16 server, everything works
fine, but than I can't use the higher resolutions.

Can someone give me some advice?

Some facts :

xbase version 3.3.2.3-1
xserver version 3.3.2.3-1

My graphics card is a Winfast S230 (S3 Vision864) with a S3 86C716 SDAC and
1024Kb memory
My motherboard is a Soyo 6KB with a Pentium II 233 and 96 Mb ram

Thanx,
Marc.