phantom in diald queue

Using diald, with a dynamic IP address, I sometimes get an annoying "phantom"
in the packet queue.  It's usually something like:

	<some.remote.address>/80 => <stale.local.address>/1234

evidently coming from an aborted http transfer.  The stale local address is
the IP address I had on some previous connection.

The diald packet queue will show this for a minute, then disconnect when its
time expires.  The queue will remain empty for a minute or two, and then this
same entry will reappear, and cause the link to come back up.  It will sit
idle for a minute, the link will go down, and the whole cycle keeps repeating.

I've tried:
  * killing Netscape (which initiated the transfer originally)
  * killing and restarting diald

Neither of these stop the phantom from continuing to reappear.

I've tried running lsof to see what process is opening the connection -- but
lsof doesn't show it.

The only way I've been able to make it stop is by either waiting (it goes away
after 10 or 15 minutes); or by rebooting.

So, can anyone tell me what is causing this request to be continually
regenerated, and/or how to stop it?

Failing that, does anyone know a good exorcist :(

--
David Zelinsky
dsz@alumni.caltech.edu