Re: just shoot me

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:17:11 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 04:40:02PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>     Personally, on production machines that you don't have access to easily
>> enough (for me that is walking into the next room) I'd not even think of
>> upgrading from a stable to a frozen.  I'd just ride the stables out.

>Each to their own; I upgraded my production box from bo to hamm
>pre-autoup and even pre-HOWTO and all the way to final hamm without

    Right.  For me I fubared a kernel upgrade of my machine at home.  I was
at work at the time and ended up having an 8 hour downtime because I couldn't
immediately access the machine.  I think what I should have said is simply to
take your chances on the upgrades.  Debian is very good about stability on
upgrades but, as with anything, there will be problems.  I don't think I'll
ever really complain about a show stopper like that in an unstable branch
when it causes problems I could have avoided by doing the upgrade while in a
position that made it easy to back out of it.