Problem duplicating system

Hi!

I got a problem here without a solution. (as usual)

I want to duplicate a debian system from one (remote) pc to a new one.
So I made a cd-image on a jaz drive medium and had it send to me via
normal mail.  I booted the new machine with the rescue floppy and went
through the install menus up to partitioning the hard disk and mounting
them in /target.  Then I mounted the cdrom image (as a loop device) under
/cdrom.  So far everything went perfectly.

But then I got stuck. :-(
I could not figure out how to copy the contents from /cdrom to /target.
The simple "cp" on the root image couldn't do it.  The simple tar "star"
I didn't know how to use (is there any documentation anywhere) and
trying to use the cp command on the cd-image /cdrom/bin/cp failed because
the necessary libraries couldn't be found.  I also tried to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to "/lib:/cdrom/lib", but that didn't help either.

I there any "correct" method to do a recursive copy in this simple state
of the system?

Thanks in advance,
 Andy.

--
 Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany
 E-Mail: Andy@spiegl.de     URL: http://www.spiegl.de