RE: Can I upgrade hamm to slink via ftp?

Slink was the current/unstable branch.  it is now "frozen".  What this means is
that no new packages will appear and all possible packaging bugs are getting
fixed.  Consider it pre-release now.  In a month or so it should go "deep
freeze".  This means that only packages in dire need of an update will be
accepted.

The easiest update path is to grab apt from slink.  it is in base if I recall.
Once you have done this fire up dselect and choose the new "apt method".  This
makes dselect a rather nice tool.  You can also use apt via command line.

The GUI dselect is a early developer play version made by another Debian
developer.  The apt authors have the "true" version under wraps -- it promises
to be nice.