Re: TROUBLE INSTALLING DEBIAN LINUX

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Mickelberry, Travis L wrote:

> WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL LINUX EVERYTHING GOES FINE UNTIL I HAVE TO REBOOT
> THE MACHINE...I MADE A BOOT FLOPPY AND IT TELLS ME TO LEAVE IT IN...SO
> THEN I REBOOT AND IT SAYS LOADING LINUX...THEN IT SAY UNCOMPESSING LINUX
> AND IT GET STUCK AND JUST SITS THERE WITH TO FLOPPY DISK ACTIVITY...I
> HAVE TRIED 4 DIFFERENT FLOPPY'S ALL WITH THE SAME RESULTS...I HAVE A 1
> GB MAXTOR HARDDRIVE AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE ON IT...I HAVE A SEPARATE
> HARD DRIVE FOR WINDOW'S...
> HERE IS A LIST OF MY HARDWARE.

<polite note>Pls don't post all in caps - it looks really ugly and annoys
people</>

Did you try making linux bootable from the hard disk?

> INTEL P-2 266 OVERCLOCKED TO 300MHZ AT 100MHZ FRONT SYSTEM BUS

It could well be that your CPU is unhappy - the bootup works it reasonably
hard, and P2s really aren't meant to be overclocked. I would recommend
clocking it back down again.

> WHEN I INSTALLED LINUX I LEFT ALL THE SETTINGS ALONE AND DID NOT
> CUSTIMIZE ANY OF MY HARDWARE SETTINGS...DO I NEED TO MANUALLY CONFIGURE
> MY FLOPPY DRIVE?

No -it's clearly reading that OK. IMHO with that impressive collection of
hardware you may well need to change some settings - like including
network support and the like - I recommend going through all the menus and
picking what you need.

> IS IT MY OVERCLOCKED CPU? I THINK MY HARDWARE MEETS THE MINIMUM
> REQUIRMENTS.

</understatement> You could run linux on a 386 ;)

HTH,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo