Re: Need help getting started...

*-"Jesse Evans" <jpjevans@earthlink.net>

| Hi, folks!

Hi

|     I've just downloaded and installed the debian system on my home PC and have gotten myself into a bit of trouble after running dselect. I grabbed all the 'home system' stuff and finally got to the configuration steps, where I was asked if I wished to have my system start up automatically with xdm at boot time. Foolishly, I said yes. Now, after rebooting my system, I see all the start up messages scroll down until it gets to "starting xdm", after which the display starts blinking on and off at a rate of about once per second. It only accepts keyboard input during the on cycle, which is very short, thus rendering the thing essentially useless. The only way out seems to be via the reset button.

Yup. It's clever to wait with xdm until you're sure X is working
with startx.

|    My guess is that I failed to properly configure the display manager (I think that's what xdm is). How can I regain control of the system and reset it so that it won't try to start xdm at boot time? Also, are there any tips you folks might share with me regarding getting things set up properly? This is a standalone PC-clone system and I'm just interested in learning what linux is all about.

It's probably X that isn't properly configured. Depending on your harware,
it can be somewhat troublesome.

If you use lilo, you can type "linux single" to get into single user mode,
in which xdm is not started. From there you can disable xdm (put a # in
from of the line start-xdm in /etc/X11/config) and go on to fix your setup.

| 'til next we type...

Speaking of which; try to limit your lines to about 70 characters.
By default, few unix editors automatically break your lines.

| HAVE FUN!! -- Jesse

I will. :-)

--
The only way tcsh "rocks" is when the rocks are attached to its feet
in the deepest part of a very deep lake.             (Linus Torvalds)