IDE message

Since switching to 2.1 I have been getting the following message at
bootup:
PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

What does it mean, and is it affecting performance in any way?

On a related note I had problems with my cdrom drive when I enabled DMA in
the kernel (error messages and being able to open the drive whilst
mounted), so I disabled it. Would it be a good idea to enable DMA on the
two HDDs (I assume I use hdparm for that)? What options should I look at
to increase performance? Where do I place the hdparm command to run at
bootup?

Cheers
	Dave