Re: Newbie installation problems

Hello Rebecca:

I am not a 100% certain but I think there are some problems
with the cheap bytes distribution. If you can, create a boot
floppy. The tools should be in the tools section of the CD
you have. hint rawrite2. I have installed cheap bytes using
a floppy and the provided CD.

Boot from floppy

Peter

Rebecca Naylor wrote:

> Wondering if someone could help me.....I'm trying to change over from Win
> 95 to Debian, which would be fine if I could actually get the latter
> installed. I'm using a Cheapbytes CD, and BIOS is set up to boot from the
> CD drive. I press ENTER at the boot prompt, and a lot of technical info
> flashes past on the screen, before everything comes to a complete halt. No
> bootlog, since I can't actually get that far, so excuse my vague explanations!
>
> I did manage to write down what was on screen at the time:
>
> Ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
> loop: registered device at major 7
> hda: SAMSUNG VG34323A (4.32GB) gq033, 4124MB w/496KB cache, VHS=525/255/63
> hdb: CD-ROM 24x/AKOx, ATAP CDROM drive
> hdc: WdC AC31000H, 1033MB w/128KB cache, CHS=2100/16/63
> hdd: M1614TA, 1040MB w/64KB cache, CHS=2114/16/63
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x3f6 on irq 15
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
> FDC is a post-1991 82077
> md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
>
> At which point everything just stops. No reboot, no error message. I left
> it for 10 minutes one time, and nothing happened.
> My setup is:
>
> AMD K6 2 300
> Samsung 4.32 GB IDE HD
> Western digital 1GB IDE HD (that I want to put Debian on)
> M1614TA IGB IDE HD
> Philips 24x CDROM
> Soundblaster clone
> Cirrus Logic 5436 PCI display adapter
> Samsung Syncmaster 3 monitor
>
> No SCSI cards/HDs, and I don't have any of the hardware mentioned in the
> boot help options. I checked the Linux Hardware Compatability FAQ, and I
> don't seem to have any hardware that could cause a problem as far as I
> know. What am I missing? Why does it stop straight after the "md driver"
> line? It's probably something really obvious that I'm overlooking...I'd be
> really grateful for any help.
>
> --
begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter Iannarelli
n:              Iannarelli;Peter
org:            GenX Internet Laboratories Inc.
adr:            20 Madison Ave.;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5R 2S1;Canada
email;internet: Peter.Iannarelli@genxl.com
title:          Engineer
tel;work:       1+ 416 929 1885
tel;fax:        1+ 416 929 1056