Re: Help!

On 7 Oct 98 21:04:22 GMT, gudas@interlog.com (Adrian Gudas) wrote:

>Help! I've installed X, and it works, but the mouse doesn't work (at
>all). I'm thrashing around like a spastic cat trying to get back into
>shell, but I can't, and without the mouse, how am I supposed to change
>my config?

You can manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and change the section
titled "Pointer" to something different.

>PS: The mouse is an IntelliMouse. I specified this. Any known
>problems/anything else I forgot to do?

I've got a PS2 IntelliMouse and have had all sorts of fun and games
with it.  It's currently specified as "IMPS/2" in XF86Config, which
gives me access to the wheel and middle button.  However, PS2 flips
out if two programs are trying to read it, so make sure you're not
running gpm in the console whilst running X.

You would also need PS2 compiled into your kernel.  View the file
/proc/interrupts to see whether you've got an interrupt assigned to
the PS2 port (probably IRQ 12).  If not then you'll need to recompile
the kernel.

>What should I use as a backup plan?

Look at the manuals for the program "gpm".  It can be set up to read
your IntelliMouse from the console, and can use trickery to pipe the
input through to X.  Basically, run gpm with the '-R' switch and use
"GPMData" and "MouseSystems" as the entries in /etc/X11/XF86Config (if
I'm remembering this correctly - check the manpages for the specifics
of this method).

If you've got a serial mouse...  Don't know, never tried, sorry.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."