Re: Help! FAT magic number corrupted!

Michael Beattie said
> On 16 Oct 1998, Rene Hojbjerg Larsen wrote:
>
> I would agree here, every time I see 81, 82 and 83, I instantly associate
> them with linux/minix Partition ID's.
>
> Since your hda1 appears to be set to 81, (Linux/MINIX) I would worry.
> Maybe changing it back? I dunno... Just looks that way to me.
>
> Another mention, if you have a /boot/boot.0301 file, you are in luck... I
> guess a probable course of action would be:
>
> 1) make sure /dev/hda1 has the correct ID
> 2) write /boot/boot.0301 to your MBR
>     (cant remember how... `cat` should do it.)
>     (`cat boot.0301 > /dev/hda`??)
>
> Then try rebooting.. Might work, but dont try it till someone else says
> that it would work... It's a guess on my behalf.

Doing this would restore the partition table and boot record on that drive
to what they were prior to installing LILO.  Is that what you want to do?
I'd be careful here...maybe you should first use dd to make a copy of the
first sector *BEFORE* trying this suggestion!?

It's not reversable otherwise.

>                        Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841