apt-get and exit status

While in the process of testing a little script I wrote to do system
updates via apt-get I found a curious little problem:

child process exited abnormally

now I did some investigating under the shell that the scrip is written
for (tclsh) and found that no matter what I did apt-get always causes
this error. I was just wondering if anyone knew how apt-get was
exiting it's process? and if it was catchable, i.e. is there some way I
can get it ignored short of writing a bash subscript.

Nikolai