getting a << (french/spanish) quote from an AT (10 Fkeys) keyboard

Being job application season for academics in economics, I dragged out
star office to prepare the letters.  Recalling last year, i quickly
figured out that it would be easier to write a mail-merge patch to lyx
than to face the word-style merge again.

A crude version is working, but the hack uses < and > for the
delimiters, which has obvious problems :)

I want to use the french/spanish style quotes  ( << and >> ) for the
english delimiter, and the english curly quotes for languages that use
those for quotes.  But how do i enter these?

I'm using english on an old AT keyboard--the one with the control key
next to the A where God meant it to be, one alt in the lower left, and
one capslock in the lower right (which could be a compose key, i
suppose).

I had a suggestion to use xmodmap to make the caps a MultiKey, but I
couldn't make this work.  Another was that altgr+x could do it, but
this didn't seem to, either.  And i've been told that they are called
guillemot.

I've also tried xkeycaps, but it doesn't even seem to recognize 92(?)
rather than 101+ keys (told me some *very* strange things . . .)

help!

rick