Re: High points of debian

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 04:37:31AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Plelase read
>
> http://master.debian.org/~doogie/why-debian_me.txt
>
> Chris Frost wrote:
> > I've got a few questions re: debian, coming from a longtime redhat user...
> >
> > I've been using redhat since around v4, and while I definately like
> > it, sometimes things are a little unstable, I wish rpm were more powerful
> > (I normally end up building my own and making rpm's, so that they register
> > in the rpm database), really like the idea of a near-completly gpl'd os,
> > and of course I like to toy :)
> >
> > So, what are some of the main reasons everyone here uses debian instead of
> > something else (linux wise)? Are there any big drawbacks? (I'm experienced
> > enough that building from tar balls isn't really a concern, so if the
> > number of .deb's premade is small, that's fine.)

I installed Debian about 2 months ago, after using Redhat for about 18 months
(I still have it installed as well). So far I prefer Debian, although not by
a huge amount; Redhat is a very good installation.  As everyone says,
upgrading seems to be more problem-free. What I 've particularly appreciated
in Debian is getting immediate helpful replies from the maintainers of
packages. On at least two occasions these have enabled me to get programs
working that I would otherwise have given up on. This is a very big plus.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk