Re: slink package upgrades fail

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Fred Yankowski wrote:

> Bob Nielsen writes:
>  > After yesterdays package updates, I get the following error messages:
>  >
>  > Preparing to replace netstd 3.07-4 (using netstd_3.07-5.deb) ...
>  > Can't locate DebianNet.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
>  > /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.005 /usr/lib/perl5/5.005
>  > /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
>  > /usr/sbin/update-inetd line 23.
>
> Here is one workaround, based on a debian-user post that I found in
> the archives.  As root, do this:
>
> 	cd /usr/local/lib
> 	mv site_perl site_perl.SAVE
> 	ln -s /usr/lib/perl5 site_perl
>
> Now try the installation/upgrade again.
>
> This works because the update-inetd perl script requires the DebianNet
> module, which exists at /usr/lib/perl5/DebianNet.pm.  Unfortunately,
> /usr/lib/perl5 is not in the built-in perl module search path.
> Creating the symbolic link as above causes /usr/local/lib/site_perl,
> which is in the path, to stand in for /usr/lib/perl5.  Of course, this
> will hide anything that you actually had in your local
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl directory.  Remember to undo this kluge when
> it is no longer needed.  You might want to undo it as soon as the
> problematic netstd upgrade works correctly.
>
> This bug is going to cost hundreds of hours of wasted time across all
> Debian users, I'm sure of it.  The problem has been known for some
> time -- could the responsible package owners (I can't figure out which
> package is to blame) please get us a fix!

I copied DebianNet.pm and the Dpkg directory from /usr/lib/perl5 to
/usr/local/lib/site_perl, which accomplished the same thing without
affecting anything else in /usr/lib/site_perl (it was empty, by the way).

I received another message which said that perl 5.005 had been downgraded
to 5.004 in slink which fixed all of this.  I assume that there were other
problems with 5.005, as adding /usr/lib/perl5 to the @INC path wouldn't
appear to be that difficult (unless I am missing something).

tetex-bin still doesn't install, so there appears to be a different
problem there.  I'm downgrading to perl 5.004 in any case.

Bob

----