Re: Why having the . at the end of someone's PATH is a security ?

In <[🔎] 199810142147.OAA03276@shell6.ba.best.com>, on 10/14/98
   at 02:47 PM, Keith Beattie <ksb@icds.org> said:

>Personally I'm in the habit of typing "./" when I need to execute
>something in the current directory.  I've been burned too many times by
>writing programs called "test" and "a.out" and executing the wrong binary
>thinking the same named file in my current dir would be the one found.

Those that hate typing "./" all the time can put something like ~/bin in
their path, and keep executables in a private bin. Setting up the
makefiles to put stuff in ~/bin isn't too hard either. The ~/bin directory
shouldn't be writeable by others of course.

Helge Hafting