Re: Y2K Compliant?

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Robert Dominguez wrote:

>     I am Robert Dominguez.  My company uses Debian GNU Linux 1.3
> running a DNS server.  The OS works fine with no bugs.  My question
> is, is this version compliant with Y2K.  I really don't see how it's
> directly affected but I had to ask.  If you have a white paper in it,
> please let me know where I can find it.  Any information and help
> would be greatly appreciated.

The simple answer to this question is yes. The longer one goes into
the way dates are stored in systems and points out that while the OS
is compliant many apps and hardware may not be, but to summarize this
I will just say that it is the nature of unix systems to store dates
as a series of integers which note day, month, year(in 4 digits) and
time ... the way that the year is handled means that there will be no
problem on 1/1/2000. However I am unsure as to the situation that will
occur on linux systems on 29/2/2000, not know the algorith being used
to do leapyear calculations.

Nikolai