Re: motif & debian

> i have motif2.01, and i used alien --deb , and installed the .deb
> result. After i tried to lounch mwm and get a segmantation fault!!!
> i tried again with an other file from the motif package and got the same
> thing!!
> the motif package was first in rpm format, after converting it,
> i uninstalled lesstif , and installed motif i got the result i told you,
> second try: i installed lesstif again , and installed motif after,
> and i got the same result!
> would you please tell what is your explanation of what hapenned?
> and tell me how you installed it
> thanks

The thing is your Motif 2.0.1 is libc5-based library while your system is
probably Debian 2.0 which is libc6 (glibc2) - based. You should install libc5
package along with xlib6 package (in addition to xlib6g) and try again.
Unfortunately, some Motif vendors used to sell Motif 2.0.1 compiled in such a
way that it would still link with libc6 even it was compiled with libc5 and
libc5 is present on the system. I cannot imagine anything would help in this
case. Ask your vendor for an upgrade to Motif 2.1 (libc6-based version).
This should be fairly cheap. I myself _never_ paid the full price for my motif
(Used some "trade-in" option) and since the first purchase I keep getting
upgrades basically for free.

Alex Y.
--
   _