Re: SCSI controller and drive?

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Mrpeabody wrote:

> I'm looking to add a scsi hard drive and controller to my system which
> currently uses an ide drive.  What is a good controller and drive to
> buy?  Does only the controller matter or does the type of hard drive I
> get matter to?

 The controller is probably the most important. You should get one that is
well-supported under Linux. In addition to Buslogic/Mylex, you can look at
DPT and NCR53cxxx cards (Diamond Fireport, Symbios Logic, and more).

 The NCR-based cards in particular are inexpensive and reliable, and while
not usually the fastest, mine has proven plenty fast for my needs. If you
want the absolute top speed, I'd suggest DPT, or Buslogic/Mylex, but for
price/performance balance I'd suggest NCR cards. You can get a NCR53c810
(fast SCSI-II) card for $53 from www.swt.com (saw an ad in the Linux
Journal).

 Adaptec, while quite widespread, has historically not relased data about
their cards to Linxu programmers. This changed recently, and Adaptec *is*
sharing information now, but it will take a while before this new
information makes it into the drivers.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
 she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."
   - TV listing for the Wizard of Oz in the Marin Independent Journal